JUNE 2013 - DECEMBER 2014

Monday, November 10, 2014

BUCKETS

Then out of nowhere, Heavenly Father saw it fit to DUMP BUCKETS OF BLESSINGS UPON OUR HEADS. Where do I even start... My head is spinning in 5,000 directions with the thought of having to place words to fit the experiences I am having. I'll repeat what Sydney said in the car home from an appointment: "the church must be true because it brings such real, raw emotions of joy." 

The Spirit at MLC has moved me to want to have a stronger testimony of Joseph Smith. The way President Stoker talks about the Prophet makes me desire to have it. I want that. I want that kind of love for Joseph Smith. He told us all sorts of stories and experiences Joseph Smith had. He shared with us the historical history of our mission. The Spirit testified SO STRONGLY that this mission is sacred ground. The departing missionaries bore their testimonies - it was intense - then President had us read D&C 39. We talked about the promises the Lord made with James, then he had us turn the page. He gave us the correct date. We read it. The room was silent as we listened to one of the sisters try to read verse 2. It was a sad feeling realizing all that he could have had, then to just turn it away for the world.

That night I prayed that I might have a stronger testimony of Joseph Smith.

Later that week we had an incredible lesson on TEMPLES with the Segars family. Out of nowhere the JSM (Joseph Smith Memorial) came flying out of my mouth and soon enough we had a trip planned for a Monday road trip to Vermont.

While at the JSM I felt it. The Spirit washed over me like a massive wave as we drove up the maple tree lined driveway up to the memorial. We walked all over the grounds and had an incredible tour. I sat on the grounds and pondered about the place where I was, and the man that was here, and all he did. It is true. He is a prophet. My testimony grew immensely.

Saturday we knocked on Chris and Jess's door... we had talked to Chris earlier, but lost contact with them. Chris was pretty promising. His wife answered the door and she was JUST AS PROMISING IF NOT MORE! We scheduled an appointment for the next day. Last Sunday we had our first lesson with them. It was GREAT. We commit them to a church tour on Friday. On Friday we had one of our members come with us with her two boys, so Charlie (the 3 year old son) could have someone to play with. Chris and Jess are openly on this CRAZY SEARCH FOR HAPPINESS and a community of people. They are in their early 30's. They have attained all their life goals and are at a point where they don't know what to do next. We took Jess into the chapel (Chris had work). We talked for a long time, the Spirit was just working like crazy on her. She opened up and said "this is what we've been looking for!" She REALLY commit to read the Book of Mormon daily. We prayed together, we asked her to pray. She said a prayer for the first time in her life, she was so sincere. That moment is in my heart forever. She was talking with God. They came to church and had a GREAT time. The branch has been in this 40 day fast for two families to be taught the Gospel, so they all saw that it was an answer to their prayers and fasts. 

The branch and us are working side by side. Our 40 day fast for two families came alive. Chris and Jess are going to be baptized.

After the JSM with Chuck Segars, he initiated a conversation about tithing with his wife. He stayed for all 3 hours of church for the first time. He is scared out of his pants, but is making changes so he can prepare to be baptized! 

So in just two short weeks we have seen Sydney progress to baptism at such a rapid pace I can barely keep up. It is incredible what actually reading and praying does for people. She leaves for Fort Collins, Colorado in less than a week and has plans to attend institute their, be a big part of the singles ward, and be baptized in the river behind CSU. YEAH. So she was sitting in the hospital with a friend, pouring into the Book of Mormon, got up to go onto the elevator and saw no one other than THE PORTLAND ELDERS. She's seeing answers to her prayers everywhere she goes. 

So back to Jess... She's been studying this lecture of a guy who compares happiness to a seed. When she read the Book of Mormon OF COURSE SHE BUMPED INTO ALMA 32. She was just in tears at all she had learned and couldn't wait to tell us. 

So in our lesson with Elane she told us she was already baptized by the priesthood. Love that. So we commit her to a church tour tomorrow.

These past two weeks were like nothing else I have ever experienced on my mission. 

I don't have time to give an overview of all that I learned in my studies, but it is comparable to the amazing weeks I've been having. It's that good as well. Holy smokes. I wish I could just dump it on all of you!!!







No comments:

Post a Comment