JUNE 2013 - DECEMBER 2014

Thursday, February 5, 2015

Be Still.



Before my mission Adrian gave a lesson on serenity and reverence that changed my relationship with Christ from the inside out. "Be still, and know that I am God" Psalms 46:10. He broke down "serenity" and "reverence."

Serenity:
-STILL-CALM-PEACE
Reverence:
-RESPECT-HONOR-AFFECTION/LOVE

Being still is allowing yourself to experience a full range of knowledge through your thoughts, emotions, and surroundings. I read a talk where it talked about how your first thought isn't usually your best thought. If you really want to learn, you musty continue until you reach your own bank of knowledge, not someone else's. The Spirit will teach you and guide you as you use your mind to get past the initial thought. Being "still" must be accompanied with gratitude. In D&C 59 the Lord instructs the saints as to how to better keep the Sabbath. He lists many of the commandments, then ends with a sweet promise. Verse 15 and 16: "inasmuch as ye do these things with thanksgiving, with cheerful hearts and countenances, not with much laughter, for this is sin, but with a glad heart and a cheerful countenance - verily I say, that inasmuch as ye do this, the fullness of the earth is yours..." The Lord then lists his creations, the earth, the animals, etc. He wants us to experience, in full, all that He has created for us. He wants this for us so badly that He has promised it to us if we but do what He asks! We are blind when we aren't grateful. "When we are grateful, we can see things that would normally be invisible" (I can't remember where I heard that, sorry!). When we are still, we experience the "fullness of the earth." It's honesty with all that is around us! It's living with transparency!

That which surrounds me is a reflection of what is inside of me, how my mind is organized, what my priorities are. Our surroundings has a great influence upon our spirituality. The way I organize my clothes, my desk, mark my scriptures, it reflects who I am. I want to make sure that my surroundings always make room for the Spirit to flow, so that I can be taught. Knowledge FEEDS me. In my exit interview, President Stoker talked about how the deeper on knowledge is, typically the deeper our conversion (second witness to the bible dictionary). 

I am having a hard time allowing myself to be open to the up's and down's of this last bit. I don't know if I feel peace, or denial. I have asked for the Lord to help me lose myself for ONE LAST WEEK... Just one week... I am grateful that I've found those I needed to find so far, to teach me all that I needed to know, to experience the joy of the Gospel WITH ME. I truly didn't think I was capable of experiencing so much, but that is the promise when we obey and remember (both associated in all our covenants and open an increased capacity of love). 

This week was VERY busy indeed. I went on exchanges with an angel. Sister Farrally is different than anyone I've ever met. I honestly believe she has angels surrounding her, I could feel it. She's been out for 5 weeks, this was her first exchange. I want to serve with her so I can learn from her. She radiates love in humility. She is MEEK in its element. I just have never met anyone like her. I love her. It was her dream to step into the Atlantic ocean, so at 8:55 we dipped our toes into the Atlantic, the temp was in the teens, then rushed home just before we turned into pumpkins! Toes frozen! We went over to the Seymour's for dinner, Sister Farrally pops open her scriptures after the lesson and reads Mosiah 24:12-15 to Sister Seymour... Sister Seymour just LOSES IS. Tears EVERYWHERE. Hugs. Answers to prayers. It was everything she needed, it was incredible watching Sister Farrally's confidence grow in such humility as we soaked it all in.

I remember the same feelings when I first went on exchange with my current companion, Sister Tarawhiti. She has been an example from the beginning. I knew the Lord knew there was more I had to learn from her. Our companionship is divine. We've needed to be together to witness what we have. We have become one in unity with this branch (to the point where all I feel like I do is EAT and teach). These members adore her because she is herself in all circumstances. I adore her because she listens, supports, and allows me to be who I am! I love her respect for all. I just love her.

We had interviews this week an an incredible training on our new mission vision.... RESCUE 1000 IN 2015! A rescue is a baptism or reactivation. It breaks down to 20 rescues/unit. We did a training on the oval chart, and some of the records we'll have to dust off from the closets (new and returning record forms). It was hard giving the training knowing I wouldn't be there to see it happen, but I knew how important it was to get this information out. It's the best way we can accomplish our purpose next year! I love how goal oriented President Stoker is. I had my exit interview, it was more peaceful than I thought it'd be. I love President Stoker, he has such mercy and meekness.

Jesse Ortega passed the sacrament for the first time yesterday. What a PRIESTHOOD MAN. He held the tray as if he was holding something of great worth. He acted as the Savior would if he were administering it himself. A man got up and bore his testimony on all that he felt as he watched Jesse pass. Jesse and Silvia both taught US this week... We've been asking them to do that, they learn more that way. Silvia gave me a faith peptalk, that I can do ALL things through Christ. Jesse focused on life before we came to earth. They were both fluid in their use of scriptures, from the Bible to the Book of Mormon. They bring me so much joy, just seeing their progression.

My surroundings, these people, they've brought me more joy than I've ever felt before. I have been able to act as the Savior would to help them. I know this is His work, because He's been able to do it through me. This is His work. I believe that with my whole heart because I feel it! As Sydney said long ago, the Gospel is real because it beings such raw emotions out of us. I don't know how to convey the LOVE I have for the Ortega's, or the Smith's, or the Segar's, or any of the people in Hanover, or Yarmouth, or JoAnne, I just love them so much! They bring me JOY. 

Talk to you next week! Oh, please, if you're going to send me a letter please send it to my house...

Sister Farrally
MY MISSION POSTERITY!!! (Sister Collins, Sister Bee)

No comments:

Post a Comment